On October 12, 2017 the Informed Consent Action Network (ICAN), with the support of InformedChoiceWA and other groups representing more than 5 million Americans, sent a notice to the Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary—
The 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act gave full indemnity to vaccine makers and providers in exchange for the promise that HHS would ensure vaccine safety was made a priority. The ICAN notice requests confirmation that certain obligations regarding vaccine safety required under the 1986 Act have been fulfilled or will forthwith be fulfilled.
ICAN has given HHS notice that continued failure to act will result in legal action against HHS – and the right to take legal action is written into the law. When the Act was drafted, Congress was afraid we would end up exactly where we are today, with safety and informed consent being ignored while drug companies profit in the billions. Congress was correct to fear that the safety provisions they so carefully crafted would be completely ignored.
Much of Washington State law regarding vaccination is built upon the premise that safety is being properly addressed at the federal level.
In keeping with the federal HHS notice, Informed Choice Washington is examining Washington State Law and locating sections of the RCWs that create conflicts of interest, and/or obligations the state has failed to apply in regards to vaccination. We are actively informing government officials and vaccination policy stakeholders regarding both the ICAN Notice and our intent to improve safety in WA through legislation and policy reform. Please see notices below.
Bernadette Pajer & Drella Stein, Co-Presidents
ICWA Notices & Requests
- September 20, 2017 ICWA calls for WA State to Take Action on influenza Vaccine Safety Signal and Fully Informed Consent. Read Here.
- October 12, 2017 ICWA signed on in support of the Informed Consent Action Network (ICAN) request for critical vaccine safety information from the HHS Secretary. The full letter (37 pages) is available HERE.This Notice is based on ICANs White: Full white paper: VACCINE SAFETY Introduction to Vaccine Safety Science & Policy in the United States
- October 19, 2017 ICWA Provides Notice to the WA DOH Vaccine Advisory Committee Meeting Members on Deficiencies in the National Immunization Program and State Program. Read HERE.
- October 23, 2017 ICWA Provides Notice to the WA State Board of Health on Deficiencies in the National Immunization Program and State Program, and provides Public Comment on Proposed changes to Criteria on which vaccination school requirements are based. Read HERE.
- November 2, 2017 ICWA delivers HHS & WA State Vaccine Safety Notices to Secretary of Health Wiesman, Governor Inslee, Senate & House Health Care Committees, and other Vaccine Stakeholders.